Thursday, January 27, 2011

The Family Heart

In lieu of this weeks how to, I decided to write about a little handmade project I did for the husband this past Christmas.  It's called The Family Heart and the idea was taken directly from"Handmade Home" by Amanda Blake Soule.  She is the creator of Soulemama, a very widely read blog.

I came across her blog sometime shortly after Plum was born.  I have been a devout reader and admirer happily ever after.  I then bought both of her books.  And now I've made this little heart.  If you decide you'd like to make this, go get out right now (or order online) her book.  It's full of things I hope to make someday.

So back to this past Christmas...

I wanted to make a few handmade gifts for my family.  I wanted whatever I made for my husband, who occasionally has to leave town for business trips, something simple and sweet that would remind him of home.  (Secretly I wanted him to cry because he was so touched.)  He can be a sentimental guy like that, but shhhh, don't tell anyone.

It's a simple little stuffed heart with a small pocket sewn onto the front.  I placed a little note for him in the pocket.  It reads:

"This is The Family Heart.  It is meant to be a small reminder of the love and connection we share as a family.  When one of us is away, they can take this on their trip or adventure with them.  The pocket can hold love notes, pictures or tokens to help them feel closer to home."

Needless to say, I believe that this may have squeezed a tear or two out of him.  But remember, its our secret.

No comments:

Post a Comment